I’m not saying it’s time to leave Pattaya but here are a few signs, symptoms, traits and habits of people who have stayed in Pattaya a long time, and in some cases definitely too long. I tried to keep this list specific to Pattaya rather than cover the broader spectrum of habits and eccentricities of people who’ve stayed in Thailand too long.
- You get a motorcycle license because you’re sick of paying fines to Pattaya’s finest.
- You are able to politely inform people that they jumped the queue and so reclaim your place.
- More than one girl has your name tattooed on her body.
- Leave the country or lock yourself indoors for Pattaya’s somewhat extended Songkran festival.
- You can spot a Kathoey “Ladyboy” from a hundred paces.
- You know more “guys who have been ripped off by their wife” than you know “happily married guys” .
- Know the difference between Dahkling and Darling.
- Realize that “Ham San Man” is not a mispronunciation of “Handsome Man”.
- You’ve seen the Pattaya Glitter-Man more than once.
- You are Glitter-man.
- If you’ve been here a long time you will know I’m not talking about Gary Glitter.
- You know what a balloon chaser is.
- You are a balloon chaser.
- Don’t buy Lady drinks.
- You think there’s nothing unusual about a man walking round the supermarket with a parrot on his arm.
- You are the man walking round the supermarket with a parrot on your arm.
- You consider having Russian language lessons.
- You’ve Been mugged in Pattaya, or you know of at least 2 people who have.
- Haven’t Been to a Pattaya Go go bar for more than 12 months.
- You have your first tattoo after your 40th birthday.
- You’re on first name terms with the staff at the Pattaya Immigration office.
- Going home broke after pouring everything you have in to a Pattaya business venture which failed.
- You just leaped off the tenth floor balcony.
- Leaped off the tenth floor balcony with a gag in your mouth, plastic bag over your head, hands tied behind your back and a knife stuck in your back.
- Believe that people really can tie their hands behind their back before suffocating themselves with a plastic bag.
Have You been in Pattaya Too Long
Tell us about the little habits and eccentricities you’ve developed resulting from spending a long time in Pattaya. Even better, tell us about other peoples strange habits, stick them in the comments section below.