If it’s your first time booking a hotel in Pattaya, these Pattaya hotel booking tips will provide you with some invaluable help with topics and questions listed below.
- Which hotel booking engine should you use to search hotels in Pattaya?
- Is it cheaper to book Pattaya hotels online?
- How to get the cheapest Pattaya hotel rates.
- What time of year can you get the cheapest hotel deals in Pattaya?
- Is it cheaper to book Pattaya hotels in advance?
- Where are the best places to stay in Pattaya?
- how to get the best hotel deals online in Pattaya
Best Place to Search Hotels in Pattaya
Booking engines (OTA’s) are absolutely the best place to search for a hotel. Of course, there are hundreds of booking engines, but the powerhouse in Thailand is Agoda. At the time of writing, Agoda have approximately 3,700 properties listed in Pattaya, that’s about 1,000 more than any other booking site.
Contact the Hotel
Narrowing down your search to a handful of hotels that suit your budget and criteria is easy. Choosing the best hotel out of that handful often comes down to minor details, information not available on the website but which is important to you. You know what I mean, simple things like what’s for breakfast, how often does the shuttle service run, what’s the cost of babysitting and so on.
You can now ask the hotel all those questions direct through Agoda before you make a booking. I think that’s a great tool to have, and will ultimately save you a lot of head scratching and hours of pondering.
Make a note of the rates on Agoda, then use a hotel comparison site like HotelsCombined to search for cheaper rates, then also visit the hotel website (if there is one) and check the rates there. Make sure you are signed in to Agoda and that rates are for the duration of your stay, the more days you book, the cheaper it becomes.
Can You Get Cheap Pattaya Hotel Walk-in Rates
There’s lots of inexpensive accommodations in Pattaya which are not listed on booking sites. So if you’re a backpacker or solo traveler looking for basic accommodation then walk-in deals are certainly possible at many (hundreds by my estimation) cheap apartments and guest houses in Pattaya.
Compare Walk-in Rates Against Cheapest Online Pattaya Hotel Room Rates
While you are looking for walk-in deals cheaper than those available online, just remeber budget priced accommodation in Pattaya is available for as little as 8 to 10 U.S dollars online.
How to Negotiate a Cheap Walk-in Accommodation Deal in Pattaya
Depending on how much legwork you want to do you should check the rates at several places. Whether the room rates are displayed or not you should ask for their best rate. If a price can’t be agreed just remember the rate, walk away and move on to the next place. Giving the impression you are willing to shop around might make them more inclined give you a deal. Walking away is often your best bargaining tool, and the time they are most likely to relent .
Where to Find Cheap Walk-in Deals in Pattaya
You will easily find cheap guest houses, apartments and rooms in every area of Pattaya. So if I was you I would first of all concentrate on the particular you wish to stay. Some of the best places to look for cheap guest houses and apartments in Pattaya are listed below.
- 2nd Road, from South Pattaya Road to Soi 1.
- All the sois (streets) between Pattaya Beach Road and 2nd Road.
- South Pattaya Road, from 3rd Road to beach Road.
- Soi Buakhao, from South Pattaya Road to Central Pattaya Road
- All the small sois off Soi Buakhao, including Soi Lengkee, Soi Diana, Soi LK Metro, Soi Honey.
- The sois between Jomtien Beach Road and Jomtien 2nd Road, especially sois 1 to 8.
Walk-in Rates at Mid to High Priced Hotels in Pattaya
Most hotels with any sort of online presence offer their discounted rates on the Internet, that rate is usually lower than the walk-in (rack rate) and they will most likely be extremely reluctant to offer you a discount because you walked in.
Here’s a scenario you may be familiar with. A friend of mine stayed at the Siam@Siam Design hotel in Pattaya, after checking the rates on Agoda he thought he might be able to negotiate a better “walk in” rate. So at the hotel front desk he asks the rate, which turned out to be almost double the rate offered by Agoda, and it was strictly non negotiable. Needless to say, while standing at the hotel front desk he made the booking through Agoda.
Like you, I was curious to know why. The most common reason I could find was that it will damage their reputation. They don’t want customers posting on review sites and forums that they paid 100 dollars online only to discover a walk-in customer in front of them only paid 80 dollars.
I’m not saying you will not get a cheaper walk-in deal in Pattaya, but I would say it’s pointless, and unlikely you will get a lower rate than those posted on the Internet.
High and Low Season Hotel Prices in Pattaya
The Pattaya high season starts on November 1st, that is when the majority of hotels in Pattaya start charging high season prices. But there is a minority of hotels which apply high season rates as early as October.
Some hotels maintain high season and sometimes shoulder season rates right through to June, but the majority have reduced their rates by May 1st.
In reality, hotels choose when to apply their low season rates, some will reduce their rates as early as February.
Here’s a little experiment I did on August 30th on Agoda to check the rates for both advanced bookings and the seasonal changes. I chose my preferred filters as follows .1 night, 1 room, 2 adults, hotel, price 0 to 80 dollars, star rating 3, swimming pool, restaurant, Internet, breakfast, family friendly, Central Pattaya.
With all my filters selected I did my first search for the next day and then a week ahead, right up to 6 weeks in advance. Booking up to 1 week in advance I had a choice of 19 hotels, then every week after, right up to 6 weeks in advance I had a choice of 21 hotels.
Of those 21 hotels I noticed the Areca Lodge had a review score of 8.1 from 4,700 reviews, that’s not bad at all so I chose that hotel. Next, I performed a search again checking the rates of only my chosen hotel, the Areca Lodge. See the results below.
- On the 30th September, booking a room for the 31st September was 36 U.S dollars.
- The rate stayed at 36 dollars right up to November 1st (start of high season) when it became 53 dollars.
- The rate remained at 53 dollars until December 20th (Christmas/New Year period), then it became 60 dollars.
- It stayed at 60 dollars until January 16th 2018, when it droppped back down to 53 dollars.
- It remained 53 dollars right through to March 1st 2018, then it dropped to 45 dollars.
- It remained at 45 dollars all the way through to August 23rd 2018, which as far ahead as Agoda would let me make a booking.
The experiment above is just one example, but prices for any particular hotel can yoyo up and down from month to month, even during the low season.
here’s a little more information about high and low tourist seasons in Pattaya.
Should You Book in Advance to Get Discounted Hotel Rates in Pattaya?
Rates are not going to get cheaper just because you are booking in advance, as you can see from the (above) experiment the rate changes are seasonal.
There are definitely advantages to searching in advance. Those advantages include more available hotels for your chosen dates, meaning more available discounts and Insider Deals (if you are signed in to Agoda).
I asked Agoda myself about discount for advance bookings, the exact question was as follows:
“Is there any recommended period for advance booking, example, is it cheaper to book say 6 months in advance ?”
The answer (below) from Agoda was:
“Agoda.com does not have specific time frame for booking periods as price goes up and down, depends on the season and hotel management itself. However, Agoda.com offers its “Best Price Guarantee” policy, which means that if you have reserved a hotel room through Agoda.com and can show us that you are able to book the same room, for the same dates, With the exact same conditions at a lower rate We will either match that rate or beat it, which
means that our customer can always enjoy the lowest rate offered in the market.”
Check The Location of Your Hotel in Pattaya
If you are you using Agoda you can see the exact location of your hotel in Pattaya on the map, but there’s one important thing I recommend you do before making a booking in Pattaya. That is to do a Google search of the area where you are staying.
For example, you fancy a hotel on Dongtan Beach, a Google search (make sure the search results are recent) for “Dongtan Beach Pattaya” may reveal there is a major beach revamp or other building work in progress. There’s a good chance it could ruin your vacation, so you might want to consider booking a hotel at another location in Pattaya.
About Hotel Room Rates in Pattaya
Prices are per room, not per person, the only exceptions I can think of are the Pattaya Hilton and a few backpacker hotels with dormitory style accommodation.
Maximum Number of Occupants
Every room has a maximum permitted number of occupants. In most cases, except for family rooms and suites you will notice that is 2 adults plus 1 child (according to age) sharing the same bedding or with an extra bed.
Extra Beds and Breakfast
If you book a room with breakfast included and also require an extra bed, the cost of the extra bed usually also covers the cost of the additional breakfast.
A joiner is a person who did not check-in/register at the same time as the person which made the booking. In Pattaya a joiner is typically a girl you met and will be joining you in your hotel room. Some hotels in Pattaya will charge you a joining fee for your overnight guest regardless of your booking conditions. Whether they charge or not is dictated by the hotel joiner policy.
How and Where to Book a Family Hotel in Pattaya
There’s lots of budget priced family friendly hotels in Pattaya, there are cheap family vacation rentals, there’s also a handful of top class and extremely popular family friendly hotels in Pattaya boasting everything a family could desire, including water parks and kids clubs.
Most people visiting Pattaya for a family vacation are understandably nervous about choosing a hotel in an area which they consider safe or suitable for their children. If you are one of those people, read these Pattaya family hotel booking tips and suggestions.
Alternative Way to Pay for Hotels in Pattaya
If you have a credit card you don’t need to worry. For those that need to book a hotel without a credit card you can find a growing number of hotels on Agoda.com which allow booking without a credit card.
Can You Get Cheaper Hotel Rates in Pattaya Booking Direct With the Hotel?
It’s always worth checking the rate direct with the hotel if they have a website and safe booking facility. I did my own price comparison of over 60 hotels in Pattaya using Agoda and then direct with the hotel, Agoda was cheaper by a ratio of about 3 to 1.
Things to Remember if You’re Going to Book a Hotel in Pattaya Right Now
- Use Agoda to search hotels in Pattaya, remember you must sign in to view member only rates.
- Select all the appropriate filters to show only hotels which match your criteria.
- If your dates flexible then check up to a month before and a month after your proposed travel dates.
- Check for seasonal rate increases in October, November, Christmas and New year.
- Check for lower rates from February through to June.
- June through to October 1st should be low season rates for all hotels in Pattaya.
- On Agoda, the more days you book the cheaper the daily rate becomes.
- Choose a hotel by review rating, discounted amount, payment terms and so on.
- Do a Google search of the area to find recent news.
- Contact the hotel and ask any questions.
- Compare the price of your hotel on the hotel website.
- Enter your hotel details on a hotel price comparison site like HotelsCombined.
- Select 2 or 3 second and third choice hotels as backup.
Areas of Pattaya
The descriptions of the different areas of Pattaya (below) will provide an overview of what is happening, what is available, and hopefully help you decide which area of Pattaya is suitable for you.
The large shaded areas show Central, South, North Pattaya and Naklua, Jomtien, Na Jomtien and Pratumnak Hill. Further details on the map show Pattaya’s main nightlife zones, beaches, shopping malls and points of interest. A description of each area in Pattaya (below) corresponds with the information on the map.
View Pattaya For Visitors in a larger map
- Map area: BLUE
- Nightlife spots within walking distance of hotels in Central Pattaya include Walking Street, Soi Diana Inn, Soi LK Metro, Soi Baukhao, South Pattaya-Land and Pattaya Beach Road.
- Shopping malls in the vicinity of Central Pattaya: The Avenue, Royal Garden Plaza, Mike’s Shopping Mall, Central Festival Pattaya Beach Mall. Also within walking distance is Friendship supermarket and Soi Baukhao Tuesday and Friday Market.
- Entertainment and Amusements around Central Pattaya: Cinema at Central Festival Beach Mall and the Avenue Mall, Tenpin Bowling at Central Festival Beach Mall and the Avenue Mall. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, Sky Rider Balloon, and Louis Tussauds World of Wax at Royal Garden Plaza. 9 Ball Pool at the Avenue and Soi Diana Inn, snooker tables upstairs at Mike’s Department Store, public swimming pool on the roof of Mike’s Shopping Mall. Mario Land children’s arcade and amusements at Central Festival Beach Mall. Swimming, Banana Boat rides and Para-sending at Pattaya Beach.
- Food and drink: There’s just about every kind of food imaginable available in Central Pattaya, Thai street food, steak houses, western restaurants, KFC, Burger King, McDonald’s, Swensen ice cream, even Japanese and Korean food.
- Getting around: Within walking distance of most nightlife and shopping venues. Baht buses are regular, and motorcycle taxi ranks can be found on almost every street corner.
- Good for: Nightlife, shopping, amusements, beach, dining, lots of hotels and guest houses in all price ranges.
- Map area: GREEN
- Nightlife in South Pattaya: Very close to Walking Street, South Pattaya-Land and Beach Road, still within easy reach of venues in Central Pattaya.
- Shopping in South Pattaya: Royal Garden Plaza, Mike’s Department Store, Soi Baukhao Market and Friendship supermarket are all both close by.
- Entertainment and amusements: Same as Central Pattaya but Central Festival Beach Mall is about a 15 minute walk. The 2 Sky Ball and a Go Kart track at Bali Hai are both within walking distance.
- Food and drink: Same as Central Pattaya, with the added bonus of some first class seafood restaurants on Walking Street.
- Getting around: Same as Central Pattaya, there is lots you can see and do on foot, but baht buses and motorcycle taxis are always available.
- Good for: Nightlife, shopping, beach, dining, good choice of hotels.
- Map area: GREY
- Nightlife in North Pattaya: There’s a couple of bar complexes on Second Road and Beach Road, girlie bars on Soi 6, and Sois 7 and 8 are still within walking distance.
- Shopping: Big C shopping complex is the most convenient, but all the major shopping malls can easily be reached by baht bus or taxi.
- Entertainment and amusements: Cinema at Big C, Tenpin Bowling, Pool and Snooker above Tops supermarket, Badminton and Tennis at Fairtex sports center, swimming and water activities at Pattaya Beach. Two of Pattaya’s most famous Lady-boy cabaret shows, Tiffany’s and Alcazar are in North Pattaya, and there is a pistol shooting facility in the basement of Tiffany’s.
- Food and drink: Still lots of options for Thai, western, street food and fast food.
- Getting around: lots to see and do within walking distance, or take a baht bus north on Second Road, south on Beach Road, lots of motorcycle taxi ranks.
- Good for: nightlife, shopping, cabaret shows, beach, dining, good choice of hotels.
Naklua & Wongamat
- Map area: BROWN
- Nightlife in Naklua: Not much nightlife to speak of in Naklua, but there are bars on Naklua Road and the roads down to Wongamat Beach. Naklua is a good choice for families or anyone who doesn’t want to be among the nightlife.
- Shopping in Naklua: No major shopping malls here but plenty of corner shops and 7-11’s to stock up on essentials.
- Entertainment and amusement: Aside from beach activities and a visit to the Sanctuary of Truth there’s not an awful lot to do. children might appreciate a visit to Lan Pho public park, and the local fresh market is worth a visit.
- Food and drink: Some excellent seafood restaurants, an excellent Thai and western food restaurant (Rim Talay) on Wongamat Beach, and also night time beach barbecues in front of the resorts.
- Getting around: Unless you plan on staying on the beach all day, or do a lot of walking, you’ll be dependent on hotel shuttles, motorcycle taxis and baht buses.
- Good for: family holidays, beach holidays, seafood.
- Map area: ORANGE
- Jomtien nightlife: There is one bar complex of note on Soi Rompho, a couple of Go-Go bars, and some open fronted bars on the sois off Jomtien Beach Road, mainly concentrated on the northern end of Jomtien. Nightlife here is fairly quiet and family orientated.
- Shopping: There is a night market on Jomtien Beach Road and a food market on Soi Rompho, Thepprasit night market is only a short baht bus ride away. Many souvenir stalls and convenience stores on Jomtien Beach Road.
- Entertainment and amusements: Beach activities, including Jet Ski riding, Banana Boats and para-sending are popular. There is an Elephant trekking center and a shooting range close by. Pattaya Water Park is an excellent family day out, the park also has a selection children’s rides and a tower shot, if you have a head for heights there is a cable ride to the top of Pattaya Park Tower.
- Food and drink: Good choice of Thai and western restaurants, some popular seafood restaurants, most notably Pu Pen at the southern end of Jomtien Beach Road.
- Getting around: Baht bus or taxi is the best way to travel any substantial distance, baht buses run regular from Jomtien Beach Road to Pattaya.
- Good for: family holiday, beach, dining, good choice of accommodation in all price ranges.
- Map area: RED/PINK
- Nightlife: Similar to Naklua, a fairly quiet area but conveniently close to Walking Street and South Pattaya.
- Shopping: 1 or 2 mini marts, corner shops and 7-11’s.
- Entertainment: This area is within easy reach of Bali Hai, Bali High Viewing Point, Pattaya Viewing Point, the Buddha on the hill, the Fitness Park and Pattaya Water Park.
- Food and drink: Good choice of restaurants in the area, some of the most highly rated restaurants in Pattaya are on Pratumnak and Thappraya roads.
- Getting around: Baht buses operate between Pattaya and Jomtien on Pratumnak and Thappraya roads.
- Good for: dining, convenient location close to Walking Street, and not far from Jomtien.
- Map area: YELLOW
- Nightlife: You can forget about nightlife in Na Jomtien, except for some nice little beach bars, resort bars, and restaurants.
- Shopping: Nearest shops to most resorts will actually be convenience stores and mini marts on the highway.
- Entertainment: There are 2 Wind Surfing and Kite Boarding schools on Na Jomtien Beach, The Jomtien Elephant Trekking Center and a Shooting range are a short way up the highway. Other attractions just a short ride away are the Cartoon Network Amazone water park, Pattaya Floating Market, Mimosa, Alangkarn Theater, and Nong Nooch Gardens.
- Food and drink: Na Jomtien can probably boast the best beach restaurants in the Pattaya area, The Glass House and The View both have tables right on the beach. A little further north there is a row of restaurants on the waters edge. South of the Ocean Marina Yacht Club, only accessible via the highway is Pattaya’s most famous seafood restaurant, ‘Preecha Seafood’.
- Getting around: Unless you have your own transport you will have to use hotel shuttle services or baht buses on the highway. Baht buses run regular in both directions, and at 20 – 30 baht per person they are extremely cheap.
- Good for: Beach holidays and family holidays, beach dining, relaxing, wind surfing and kite boarding.
Distances from Central Pattaya.
- Central Pattaya Road to North Pattaya Road = 1.7 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to South Pattaya Road = 1.14 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Jomtien = 4.6 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Wongamat Beach = 3.14 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Na Jomtien Beach = 11 kilometers.