There’s a multitude of hotels, resorts, guest houses and vacation rentals in Pattaya. In fact you might be overwhelmed. So whether you’re a single guy, a family, a group, a backpacker or a flash-packer, here’s some tips to guide you through the process of finding the most suitable Pattaya hotel or vacation rental for you.
The best hotel in Pattaya is not one with a five star rating or brimming with every facility and service you can think of. The best hotel in Pattaya is the hotel which suits your style, caters for your needs, and is within your budget.
Find the Best Hotel in Pattaya
There’s no need to spend hours, or even days searching every booking site for some elusive hotel deal. Using the search filters on on-line booking sites you can easily narrow down your choice of hotels to suit your criteria by price, area, star ratings, required amenities and services, and even suitability.
Best Pattaya Hotel Booking Websites
Unless you are already loyal to a particular hotel booking agent there is no need to confine your hotel search to one website. The recommended place to start your search, purely because of superior choice is Agoda.com, think of it as your hotel directory.
Agoda have around 2,700 hotels and vacation rental type accommodation listed in Pattaya. To my knowledge that’s a few hundred more than their competitors. Hotels on Agoda.com also have lots of genuine customer reviews, which are another very important tool you need to refine your choice.
Get Cheapest Hotel Rates in Pattaya
Agoda usually offer very competitive hotel rates in Pattaya, but there might be a better deal offered somewhere. Once you’ve found a hotel on Agoda, you can compare the rates against all the competitor sites using HotelsCombined.com.
Pattaya Hotels for Families
You know what, people are actually starting to write rave reviews about their holiday with kids in Pattaya. I live here so it’s not exactly news to me.
There are some fantastic family friendly hotels in Pattaya which I would really love to try myself if I didn’t live here.
Where to Stay with Kids in Pattaya
Of course Pattaya has this reputation which scares families away. If you choose the right hotel you can have a perfectly safe family holiday, even in central Pattaya. If the nightlife thing does worry you, choose a hotel to the north end of Pattaya Beach Road, Wongamat, Naklua, Jomtien or Na Jomtien.
Pattaya Vacation Rentals for Families
Traveling as a large family is not cheap, especially when you have older children who need their own room. It’s easy enough to find hotels with family rooms and suites in Pattaya, and at reasonable prices. But you may cut your costs considerably if you choose vacation rental type accommodation instead. You won’t have all the services offered by a hotel, but you will certainly have more freedom.
Pattaya Hotels Tips for Single Males
As a single guy visiting Pattaya you should be aware that when you take an overnight guest back to your hotel room you might have to pay a joiners fee according to the hotel joiner policy.
To avoid this unnecessary cost you should choose a guest friendly hotel, one which does not charge for your guest. In most cases you should ensure you book your room for 2 occupants, which is usually the same price as double occupancy anyway.
It is also a requirement of the hotel that your guest reports to the front desk with their ID card or passport. Ensuring your guest does report to the front desk, and choosing a guest friendly hotel with in-room safe boxes are advisable to safeguard yourself and your valuables.
Backpacker Hotels in Pattaya
You can find more tips about backpacking on my Pattaya backpacking page. As a backpacker looking for a cheap hotel room in Pattaya you’re actually spoilt for choice. There are 3 or 4 backpacker hotels in Pattaya, but if you are prepared to do a bit of leg work there’s lots of cheap rooms for rent above the bars and restaurants in central Pattaya.
Pet Friendly Hotels in Pattaya
Before booking any pet friendly hotels or pet friendly accommodation in Pattaya it is most important that you contact the hotel or property owner direct first. So far as hotels are concerned “pet friendly” usually means dogs are the only pets allowed, and then there are usually further restrictions on size, breed, and number of pets allowed.
Alternative Ways to Pay for Hotels in Pattaya
If you have a credit card you don’t need to worry. For those that need to book a hotel without a credit card you can find a growing number of hotels on Agoda.com which allow booking without a credit card.
Booking With The Hotel
Booking direct with the hotel. It’s always worth checking the rate direct with the hotel if they have a website and safe booking facility. I did my own price comparison of over 60 hotels in Pattaya using Agoda and then direct with the hotel, Agoda was cheaper by a ratio of about 3 to 1.
Walk in vs advance hotel booking.
Here’s a scenario you may be familiar with. A friend of mine stayed at the Siam@Siam Design hotel in Pattaya, after checking the rates on Agoda he thought he might be able to negotiate a better “walk in” rate. So at the hotel front desk he asks the rate, which turned out to be almost double the rate offered by Agoda, and it was strictly non negotiable.
Needless to say, while standing at the hotel front desk he made the booking through Agoda.
Why is on-line hotel booking cheaper than walk in ?.
You can find a hotels standard (rack) rates on the hotel website or on hotel booking sites like Agoda. The most outstanding reason hotels do not like to offer discounted rates to “walk in” guests is because it will damage their reputation, and maybe even their relationship with booking sites they have partnered with. Put simply, they do not want walk in guests to publicize the fact they negotiated a cheaper price than the online rate.
Hotels know walk in guests are not likely to spend too long walking from one hotel to another negotiating rates, and are likely to take whatever rate is offered.
Agoda Booking Tips
I found some issues which left me a little confused while searching Agoda, and so I emailed them my questions. You can see my questions and the answers from Agoda, below.
Question 1. Maximum occupancy: while searching hotels for 2 adults and 1 child I see results for rooms with an optional extra bed, and then some rooms without the extra bed option. Are those rooms without the extra bed option strictly for a maximum of 2 occupants even if the hotel policy states children may share the same bedding ?
Agoda response. Yes, if there is no option to add extra bed, which means that the maximum number of occupancy for that room is strictly for 2 Adults only. If hotel further states on their policy that child with certain age may stay for free if use the existing bedding, means that bringing child along will be alright, as long as no extra Adults.
Question 2. Some results are a little confusing: I see some search results show a family room with 2 double beds, but it states a maximum occupancy 2 adults, is it safe to book this room type for 4 people.?
Agoda response. As long as it allows you to book it for 4 people, then it is safe to do so. Kindly note to always double check the booking details before proceeding with the payment page.
Question 3. Advance booking periods: is there any recommended period for advance booking, example, is it cheaper to book say 6 months in advance ?
Agoda response. Agoda.com does not have specific time frame for booking periods as price goes up and down, depends on the season and hotel management itself. However, Agoda.com offers its “Best Price Guarantee” policy, which means that if you have reserved a hotel room through Agoda.com and can show us that you are able to book ….
- The same room
- For the same dates
- With the exact same conditions at a lower rate
We will either match that rate or beat it, which means that our customer can always enjoy the lowest rate offered in the market.
More Agoda Booking Tips
book 5 days plus to get bigger discounts, when booking more than 5 days I noticed the discount increased from 40 to 45 percent, booking 21 days and more saw the rates reduce again to the “super saver” rate which decreases even more for every additional night you book.
You can book up to 30 nights, after that you must make a new booking.
Agoda may tell you the hotel is not available on your chosen dates. Quite often the reason for that is “the same room type is not available for your chosen dates”. Example, while I was checking rates for a 20 period at the LK Empress, in this case the dates were October 20th to November 10th, I was informed that no rooms were available for that period.
If you are prepared to swap rooms at some point you may be able to fix this issue by making 2 separate bookings for 2 different room types.
Start by shortening the duration of your stay to 1 or 2 days, you should now find the hotel has rooms available. Now keep adding additional days to your search until no rooms become available.
If you search again from the date no rooms became available, you should once again find rooms available, but a different room type. Remember to book your second period starting the day you checkout from your first period.
when booking for a child sharing existing bedding there is no charge. The only charge is for the optional extra bed. If you do book an extra bed and the room includes breakfast, then an extra breakfast is usually included.
Select “extra bed” option then cover with your mouse, it will tell you if the extra bed is optional or mandatory. You can also find this included in the hotel policy information.
Very few hotels have discounts for single occupancy, you book for 2 people regardless of checking in alone.
Booking in advance allows you more favorable cancellation terms, and quite often a larger choice of deals.
Reviews are Important. On Agoda you can select your review type, say you are traveling as a family, you can set your search to show reviews by families with young children or families with teens. There are also review filters for solo traveler, groups, couples and business travelers.
Areas of Pattaya
The descriptions of the different areas of Pattaya (below) will provide an overview of what is happening, what is available, and hopefully help you decide which area of Pattaya is suitable for you.
The large shaded areas show Central, South, North Pattaya and Naklua, Jomtien, Na Jomtien and Pratumnak Hill. Further details on the map show Pattaya’s main nightlife zones, beaches, shopping malls and points of interest. A description of each area in Pattaya (below) corresponds with the information on the map.
View Pattaya For Visitors in a larger map
- Map area: BLUE
- Nightlife spots within walking distance of hotels in Central Pattaya include Walking Street, Soi Diana Inn, Soi LK Metro, Soi Baukhao, South Pattaya-Land and Pattaya Beach Road.
- Shopping malls in the vicinity of Central Pattaya: The Avenue, Royal Garden Plaza, Mike’s Shopping Mall, Central Festival Pattaya Beach Mall. Also within walking distance is Friendship supermarket and Soi Baukhao Tuesday and Friday Market.
- Entertainment and Amusements around Central Pattaya: Cinema at Central Festival Beach Mall and the Avenue Mall, Tenpin Bowling at Central Festival Beach Mall and the Avenue Mall. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, Sky Rider Balloon, and Louis Tussauds World of Wax at Royal Garden Plaza. 9 Ball Pool at the Avenue and Soi Diana Inn, snooker tables upstairs at Mike’s Department Store, public swimming pool on the roof of Mike’s Shopping Mall. Mario Land children’s arcade and amusements at Central Festival Beach Mall. Swimming, Banana Boat rides and Para-sending at Pattaya Beach.
- Food and drink: There’s just about every kind of food imaginable available in Central Pattaya, Thai street food, steak houses, western restaurants, KFC, Burger King, McDonald’s, Swensen ice cream, even Japanese and Korean food.
- Getting around: Within walking distance of most nightlife and shopping venues. Baht buses are regular, and motorcycle taxi ranks can be found on almost every street corner.
- Good for: Nightlife, shopping, amusements, beach, dining, lots of hotels and guest houses in all price ranges.
- Map area: GREEN
- Nightlife in South Pattaya: Very close to Walking Street, South Pattaya-Land and Beach Road, still within easy reach of venues in Central Pattaya.
- Shopping in South Pattaya: Royal Garden Plaza, Mike’s Department Store, Soi Baukhao Market and Friendship supermarket are all both close by.
- Entertainment and amusements: Same as Central Pattaya but Central Festival Beach Mall is about a 15 minute walk. The 2 Sky Ball and a Go Kart track at Bali Hai are both within walking distance.
- Food and drink: Same as Central Pattaya, with the added bonus of some first class seafood restaurants on Walking Street.
- Getting around: Same as Central Pattaya, there is lots you can see and do on foot, but baht buses and motorcycle taxis are always available.
- Good for: Nightlife, shopping, beach, dining, good choice of hotels.
- Map area: GREY
- Nightlife in North Pattaya: There’s a couple of bar complexes on Second Road and Beach Road, girlie bars on Soi 6, and Sois 7 and 8 are still within walking distance.
- Shopping: Big C shopping complex is the most convenient, but all the major shopping malls can easily be reached by baht bus or taxi.
- Entertainment and amusements: Cinema at Big C, Tenpin Bowling, Pool and Snooker above Tops supermarket, Badminton and Tennis at Fairtex sports center, swimming and water activities at Pattaya Beach. Two of Pattaya’s most famous Lady-boy cabaret shows, Tiffany’s and Alcazar are in North Pattaya, and there is a pistol shooting facility in the basement of Tiffany’s.
- Food and drink: Still lots of options for Thai, western, street food and fast food.
- Getting around: lots to see and do within walking distance, or take a baht bus north on Second Road, south on Beach Road, lots of motorcycle taxi ranks.
- Good for: nightlife, shopping, cabaret shows, beach, dining, good choice of hotels.
Naklua & Wongamat
- Map area: BROWN
- Nightlife in Naklua: Not much nightlife to speak of in Naklua, but there are bars on Naklua Road and the roads down to Wongamat Beach. Naklua is a good choice for families or anyone who doesn’t want to be among the nightlife.
- Shopping in Naklua: No major shopping malls here but plenty of corner shops and 7-11’s to stock up on essentials.
- Entertainment and amusement: Aside from beach activities and a visit to the Sanctuary of Truth there’s not an awful lot to do. children might appreciate a visit to Lan Pho public park, and the local fresh market is worth a visit.
- Food and drink: Some excellent seafood restaurants, an excellent Thai and western food restaurant (Rim Talay) on Wongamat Beach, and also night time beach barbecues in front of the resorts.
- Getting around: Unless you plan on staying on the beach all day, or do a lot of walking, you’ll be dependent on hotel shuttles, motorcycle taxis and baht buses.
- Good for: family holidays, beach holidays, seafood.
- Map area: ORANGE
- Jomtien nightlife: There is one bar complex of note on Soi Rompho, a couple of Go-Go bars, and some open fronted bars on the sois off Jomtien Beach Road, mainly concentrated on the northern end of Jomtien. Nightlife here is fairly quiet and family orientated.
- Shopping: There is a night market on Jomtien Beach Road and a food market on Soi Rompho, Thepprasit night market is only a short baht bus ride away. Many souvenir stalls and convenience stores on Jomtien Beach Road.
- Entertainment and amusements: Beach activities, including Jet Ski riding, Banana Boats and para-sending are popular. There is an Elephant trekking center and a shooting range close by. Pattaya Water Park is an excellent family day out, the park also has a selection children’s rides and a tower shot, if you have a head for heights there is a cable ride to the top of Pattaya Park Tower.
- Food and drink: Good choice of Thai and western restaurants, some popular seafood restaurants, most notably Pu Pen at the southern end of Jomtien Beach Road.
- Getting around: Baht bus or taxi is the best way to travel any substantial distance, baht buses run regular from Jomtien Beach Road to Pattaya.
- Good for: family holiday, beach, dining, good choice of accommodation in all price ranges.
- Map area: RED/PINK
- Nightlife: Similar to Naklua, a fairly quiet area but conveniently close to Walking Street and South Pattaya.
- Shopping: 1 or 2 mini marts, corner shops and 7-11’s.
- Entertainment: This area is within easy reach of Bali Hai, Bali High Viewing Point, Pattaya Viewing Point, the Buddha on the hill, the Fitness Park and Pattaya Water Park.
- Food and drink: Good choice of restaurants in the area, some of the most highly rated restaurants in Pattaya are on Pratumnak and Thappraya roads.
- Getting around: Baht buses operate between Pattaya and Jomtien on Pratumnak and Thappraya roads.
- Good for: dining, convenient location close to Walking Street, and not far from Jomtien.
- Map area: YELLOW
- Nightlife: You can forget about nightlife in Na Jomtien, except for some nice little beach bars, resort bars, and restaurants.
- Shopping: Nearest shops to most resorts will actually be convenience stores and mini marts on the highway.
- Entertainment: There are 2 Wind Surfing and Kite Boarding schools on Na Jomtien Beach, The Jomtien Elephant Trekking Center and a Shooting range are a short way up the highway. Other attractions just a short ride away are the Cartoon Network Amazone water park, Pattaya Floating Market, Mimosa, Alangkarn Theater, and Nong Nooch Gardens.
- Food and drink: Na Jomtien can probably boast the best beach restaurants in the Pattaya area, The Glass House and The View both have tables right on the beach. A little further north there is a row of restaurants on the waters edge. South of the Ocean Marina Yacht Club, only accessible via the highway is Pattaya’s most famous seafood restaurant, ‘Preecha Seafood’.
- Getting around: Unless you have your own transport you will have to use hotel shuttle services or baht buses on the highway. Baht buses run regular in both directions, and at 20 – 30 baht per person they are extremely cheap.
- Good for: Beach holidays and family holidays, beach dining, relaxing, wind surfing and kite boarding.
Distances from Central Pattaya.
- Central Pattaya Road to North Pattaya Road = 1.7 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to South Pattaya Road = 1.14 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Jomtien = 4.6 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Wongamat Beach = 3.14 kilometers.
- Central Pattaya Road to Na Jomtien Beach = 11 kilometers.