Read this if you don’t want to get mugged in Pattaya.
I originally wrote a rather badly written account of an attempted mugging on myself, but like I said it was a terribly written piece of story telling, and I’m not here to tell stories. Instead, I will try and prevent you from giving the nasty horrible muggers their favourite target, “COMPLACENCY”.
Why complacency makes you a target in Pattaya.
- A high percentage of mugging victims are tourists enjoying their holiday in Pattaya, and of course you go on holiday to let your hair down and have some fun, the last thing on your mind is getting mugged, after all “Pattaya is a busy and well known tourist town”, and this is Thailand “The Land of Smiles” so it must be safe.
- Tourists are more likely to drink alcohol because they are on holiday, as we all know, your senses become somewhat dulled if you drink excessively. In such a drunken state you are easy prey for a mugger or what I prefer to call “Pattaya’s Motorcycle Highwaymen”.
- As a tourist, especially female, you are more likely to carry a bag because you need something to keep your purse in, and you camera, the map of directions back to the hotel, and you never know what souvenir you might buy, so you really need that bag.
- As a tourist visitor to Pattaya you probably won’t think twice about wearing your gold, or should I say “not wearing your gold”. Why shouldn’t you, you’re not expecting to get mugged.
- You’ve never been mugged before, that only happens to other people.
Believe me, people do get mugged in Pattaya.
As I said earlier I myself had a narrow escape, maybe they were still novices. My wife got mugged, 2 guys on a motorbike snatched her bag off her shoulder. My Mother got mugged, 1 guy on a motorbike snatched her gold chain off her neck.
I can tell you honestly that mugging, snatching, robbing, whatever you want to call it, having something stolen from your person by a speeding passer-by is a major problem in Pattaya. Being mugged is not an experience you want to take home with you, I know, my Mother told me.
How can you avoid getting mugged in Pattaya.
If you have just read this page you already have an advantage, knowing that there are such things as muggings in Pattaya will help you to be more defensive, “know your enemy” as they say.
Sensible precautions to avoid being mugged.
Don’t wear your jewellery, especially gold, leave it in the hotel safe, a better option is to not even take your gold on holiday with you.
Don’t wear a bag, especially a shoulder bag, if you really feel that you need your bag try and wear it so that it is not on your shoulder nearest the road, in other words “wear your bag defensively”.
keep as far away from the road as possible, I know this is hard to do in Pattaya due to street markets and shops which use the pavement as a showroom for their goods, but try your best to keep away from the road.
There’s more than one way to rob a tourist.
Ladyboys and bar-girls have been known to mob handedly adorn passing tourists with affection whilst deftly removing their wallet from a pocket.
It has been known, and probably kept a secret by some, to wake up not remembering anything of the previous night, only having a fond memory of their wallet. Spiking drinks with drugs is a tactic used by some bar-girls and ladyboys to render their victim unconscious so that they can relieve them of their valuables.